Editorial Cartoon by Graeme MacKay, The Hamilton Spectator – Friday September 28, 2018
8 takeaways from the Brett Kavanaugh-Christine Blasey Ford hearings
The eyes of the country are on a small hearing room on Capitol Hill Thursday, where Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who has accused him of sexually assaulting her when they were both teenagers, are testifying in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
I’m watching right alongside you — and the nation. The testimony so far has been gripping — and the whole hearing, featuring both Ford and Kavanaugh, will be worth watching to get a full picture.
But several moments and themes have already stood out. Below you’ll find a contemporaneous set of takeaways that I think are worth taking note of as I watch the hearings live. Again, these takeaways are in the order of the actual hearing.
1. Ford is credible
2. The manner of questioning is, um, not great
3. Grassley’s tin ear
4. Hatch’s ‘attractive’ gaffe
5. Mitchell’s swings and misses
6. The silence of Senate Republicans
7. Kavanaugh’s angry and emotional opening statement
8. No one is more outraged than Lindsey Graham