Editorial Cartoon by Graeme MacKay, The Hamilton Spectator – Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Mayor Eisenberger suffers burns in home dryer fire
Mayor Fred Eisenberger is recovering from burns to his hand after combating a clothes dryer fire in his east-end home Saturday night.
The blaze broke out shortly after 5 p.m., said Eisenberger, who said his family first noticed smoke from an outside vent. He went to the basement where he discovered smoke billowing from the dryer.
“A lot of smoke was piling up quick,” said Eisenberger, who reached in to grab the clothes inside as they caught fire. “So I got a handful of flames.”
With fire crews on the way, Eisenberger’s son ran to get a fire extinguisher to put out the dryer flames and the burning pile of clothes. Firefighters later removed the dryer.
Paramedics took Eisenberger to the General to be treated for possible smoke inhalation and to have his right hand bandaged. He was discharged several hours later and will follow up this week with the hospital’s burn unit. The doctor suspected multiple degrees of burns, he said.
Despite the painful injury, Eisenberger said he’s grateful no one was seriously hurt and damage to his home wasn’t more extensive.
“It’s very fortunate we were here,” he said, noting the family is faithful about cleaning the lint trap.
The emergency should be a reminder to everyone about the importance of having a fire extinguisher in your home and knowing how to properly use it, he added.
Eisenberger expressed gratitude to emergency crews in a release on Sunday morning.
“I want to offer my sincere thanks to the Hamilton Fire Department, Paramedics and Hamilton Police Service for their response and good care for us and our home and hospital staff who provided excellent treatment.”
He was more lighthearted about the incident on social media, noting, “Hand will heal. Just need to be a leftie for a bit!” That prompted a follower to note some already consider Eisenberger left of centre. (Source: Hamilton Spectator)
Letters to the editor
Cartoon about mayor’s fire scare
Fire cartoon was no laughing matter – letters, January 5, 2015
This letter is about your very inappropriate cartoon in Tuesday’s (Dec. 23) paper. Fire is nothing to joke about. Just recently, a Hamilton woman was killed in a fire and I lost my own father to severe burns form a fire in 1976.
The mayor could have been severely injured or killed. Fires can spread very fast. Also the reference to Dutch candles is uncalled for. There have been several cartoons this year that have been in very poor taste.
James Balch, Lynden
Cartoon critics should just relax
Fire cartoon was just satirical comment – letters, January 5, 2015
I have heard and read some criticism of the cartoon that showed Mayor Eisenberger satirically giving tips about the dangers of home fires. Apparently some thought it insensitive and sensational. I suggest they relax.
Editorial cartoons are not always intended to be funny. This one pokes some gentle fun at the mayor but is in good spirits. As for mentioning that the mayor is of Dutch decent, I saw him make reference to that fact at least twice during public speeches in the recent election campaign. If he can make fun of himself being a spendthrift of Dutch heritage, it is fair comment to satirize that.
Alex Van Veldon, Hamilton